Sunday, July 5, 2015

Ok I saw this while strolling through Wal-Mart the other day.


 

I was just completely struck by surprise with the concept of putting condiments on my dog or cats' food.  Is this supposed to make the food taste better to my dog or cat?  If so, how is this even tested and who is the person tasting this stuff?  If it has to be refrigerated I would hate to get it mixed up with my human condiments...  Ok is says that it is packed full of Omega 3, 6, and 9 Glucosamine and Prebiotic which all sound good and well for the dog.  What is a prebiotic?   Well, what is a "Prebiotic"?  I asked myself the same question.  Wikipedia defines it thusly, and I quote:

"Prebiotics is a general term to refer to chemicals that induce the growth or activity of microorganisms (e.g., bacteria and fungi) that contribute to the well-being of their host. The most common example is in the gastrointestinal tract, where prebiotics can alter the composition of organisms in the gut microbiome. However, in principle it is a more general term that can refer to other areas of the body as well. For example, certain hand moisturizers have been proposed to act as prebiotics to improve the activity or composition of the skin microbiota. [1]
In diet, prebiotics are typically non-digestible fiber compounds that pass undigested through the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract and stimulate the growth or activity of advantageous bacteria that colonize the large bowel by acting as substrate for them. They were first identified and named by Marcel Roberfroid in 1995.[2] As a functional food component, prebiotics, like probiotics, are conceptually intermediate between foods and drugs."  End quote. if you want more on prebiotics here is the link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prebiotic_%28nutrition%29   Its quite interesting.

  So is this just a marketing scheme or could it be an ingenious alternative to dog treats, chewable pills, and capsules in an effort to maximize the health of our furry members of the family. I guess if it tastes good to your pet then it would be an excellent alternative to trying to hide their vitamins in other foods and risk them getting lost or wasted.  I guess I'm still on the fence. What is your opinion on the subject?

No comments :

Post a Comment